Tuesday 13 September 2016

Emmanuel Goldstein and Sheep Symbolism

Emmanuel Goldstein

Here we are once again with another page of ideas and concepts that I'm going to include in my final piece. Emmanuel Goldstein, the potential antagonist in 1984; if you will. This is definitely most certainly one of the things I definitely intend to include in my final piece. Anyway, let me explain why.

Goldstein is the main image involved in the two minute hate; and I'll also note, invoking the hatred amongst the people in this world. Though, rebellion and such is seen as a punishable crime, Goldstein is ignored for his 'violence' and such. However, during the book., I feel as if he isn't the true villain, as such.

This is where I feel the 'sheep symbolism' is important, though, I'll explain this in a moment.


Image result for emmanuel goldstein art

Image result for emmanuel goldstein 1984

The Importance of Sheep Symbolism and Imagery

This does sound rather odd at first, though is actually a strongly held comparison, and is a very interesting comparison for Orwell to have made, and made clear. It is mentioned a lot that Goldstein looks like a sheep, that he is a sheep in some cases.

I feel that this could go in more directions than one in all honesty.

One of these, could be that sheep are the symbolism of innocence and peace. This of course could be what Orwell could have been trying to get at. OR!

The symbolism of a black sheep; a member of a family or group who is regarded as a disgrace to it. I feel this could actually be the bigger point being made.

However, going back to what I am researching and talking about; I do want this imagery to appear in my final photography piece. Especially the idea of a 'black sheep'. However, I'll return to this later on in my work.



Image result for Black sheep art

Image result for black sheep


No comments:

Post a Comment